The hygienist works independently or in small groups in a variety of community-based clinic settings including schools, Head Starts, etc., in Tribal communities on an assigned Reservation in South Dakota. Occasionally, the hygienist will work at a Mobile Program truck clinic.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and flexible, possess strong communication skills, have experience working in rural and/or tribal community setting and be passionate about preventing oral diseases in underserved children.
Duties and responsibilities
- Schedule site partner clinics
- Collect and review Patient Information Forms
- Screen patients for oral disease
- Provide needed preventive services (screenings, cleanings, sealants, fluoride varnish) according to the DDSD Foundation’s protocols
- Record all screening results and treatment services in electronic dental record
- Determine appropriate referrals to dental offices
- Work with Oral Health Coordinators to ensure high needs patients receive further dental care
- Provide in-depth oral health education to each patient
- Provide tobacco prevention and cessation education to patients as appropriate
- Conduct classroom oral health education when time allows
- Communicate the importance of oral health and promote the Delta Dental Mobile Program to identified stakeholders
- Demonstrate cultural sensitivity in all interactions with a strong commitment to an excellent patient experience
- Can meet the challenge of providing high-quality care under sometimes challenging conditions
- Perform other related and/or necessary tasks to achieve organizational and programmatic goals and objectives, as directed by supervisor or director
- Be prepared to travel, have overnight stays and occasionally work irregular hours
- Attend mandatory all-staff meetings
- Be responsible for: storing, maintaining, and transporting equipment; keeping an accurate inventory of supplies; and accurately completing data entry/reporting requirements
Experience and qualifications
- Must have graduated from an accredited dental hygiene education program
- Must have an active South Dakota driver’s license
- Must qualify for collaborative supervision status in South Dakota and willing to obtain the proper credentials
- Must be current on vaccinations, or willing to obtain the required vaccinations
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and transport/set-up equipment on a regular basis
Compensation and benefits
Delta Dental provides an excellent compensation and benefit package including medical, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, paid vacation, sick leave, 401k, and continuing education. Possibility for a reduced summer schedule.
More information about benefits and company culture is available on our Careers page.