With most dental practices focusing only on emergency and urgent dental care during the COVID-19 pandemic, taking care of your oral health at home is as important as ever. Use these daily dental health basics at home to help keep your mouth healthy and happy:
- Brush gently at least twice a day, with special attention to the gum line. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss at least once a day. You can also use an interdental cleaner—a special pick or brush you use between your teeth.
- Replace your toothbrush every three to four months, or earlier if the bristles are looking spread out and worn.
- Be aware of bad habits like ice chewing or crunching on hard snacks, using your teeth as a tool or to open packages, or grinding and clenching as these things can cause broken or chipped teeth.
- Wear a mouthguard if you are doing a sport or activity that could cause trauma to your face and jaw. Some activities, like mountain-biking, roller boarding or skating, allow you to keep your “social distance” but are safer with a helmet and mouthguard!
We believe in the power of a smile. It can be comforting and inspiring. During these stressful times, we hope you’ll take a moment to share your smile with someone today. And we encourage everyone to follow the CDC’s guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19: