Your family will love the cheesy flavor of these zucchini boats. You’ll love the fact that they’re easy to prepare and make great leftovers. High in protein and teeth-strengthening nutrients, this melty meal is also low in carbs.
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 pound chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup low-sugar barbecue sauce
- 1¼ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease a 9x13 pan with olive oil.
- Scoop out centers from zucchini, leaving a ¼ -inch rim to create boats. Place zucchini in pan and brush with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add ½ tablespoon of olive oil to skillet and place over medium heat. Add garlic and onions; sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl and stir in cooked chicken, ½ cup barbecue sauce and ½ cup cheese. Spoon mixture evenly into zucchini boats.
- Top each with 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce and 1½ tablespoons cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until cheese has melted and zucchini is tender.